Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Thursday, July 10, 2008

FREE HUGS!!!!

Have you seen the video on Godtube with a guy and a big 'ol poster with "FREE HUGS" printed on it? He doesn't ask for money or for favors; he simply hugs you.

Have you noticed that, at times, people don't always respond when you speak to them? Don't you think we, as a society, are starting to get a bit desensitized and callous? We're not used to strangers in our personal space, and it was interesting to watch the expressions and smiles bloom as we invited people to simply hug us.

Kurt and I did that for three hours tonight at the Trumbull County Fair, and it was one of the most amazing things I have ever done. Initially, I was a bit apprehensive; in fact, I didn't really want to do it in the first place, but he was so excited.

Then he got discouraged because this was supposed to be a "youth" activity.

Did I mention that Kurt and I were the only ones who showed up?

I bet we hugged at least 100 people a piece! Some teens we'd never met before got so excited that they begged to hold one of our extra signs! It was wonderful! They must have helped us hug folks for at least two hours!

I was able to pray with a woman who recently lost her father (on Mother's Day) and is having trouble taking care of her brother. I met a police officer who also runs a kettle-corn stand by night...he also suffers from diverticulosis (I have no idea how to spell that). I had several small children run into my arms and give me love (and receive it in return). I was able to hug some teens who were hurting; some hugged me on a dare, yet they lingered quite a bit longer than needed. I was surprised how many of my ex-students ran to get a hug from me! :o)

We are human, and we need to be touched.

What a cool spin on ministry!

I dare say that some young people found out that it's ok to touch without any sexual strings attached. Hopefully, a simple "hug" won't be so taboo anymore...at least for a few folks who may have changed their minds about that tonight.

Father, help us to love one another. Help us to be able to discern when our brothers and sisters are hurting and need to be hugged and prayed for! Give us boldness to do that, perhaps not with perfect strangers as we did tonight, but at least with our friends and family.

Jesus, please bless everybody Kurt and I met this evening! I pray that something we said or did will lead them straight into Your arms for the ultimate hug of all. In Jesus' name, amen.


7 comments:

Kimberly said...

You know, all I can say is "How cool is that?"

That's all I can say!

Hugs, Kim

Michelle said...

Hi Kim!

Well, I didn't think I would get many hugs because Kurt is really, really, really, really cute.

Thank God I was so wrong!

He wore a country-lookin' hat, but he was still quite handsome. ;o)

I had a lady tell me, "You know, I can't believe people are passing you by. You have the most beautiful smile!"

Awww!!! She made me smile even more!

We might go back tonight after church, but that all depends on how tired Kurt is. He works construction, so his job is physically demanding.

He actually fainted yesterday in the heat. He fell and showed me where his hand got bloody, but when he "came to" he just sat up, took a drink of water, and went back to work.

He is one tough cookie.

And, by the way, you've taught your daughters well! I enjoyed looking at pictures of their scrap booking.

Did you get my check yet? I'm thinking I might get your package by Wednesday of next week, right? I can't wait! I can't wait! I can't wait!

Kimberly said...

Hey Michelle,

Your package should for sure by there by Wed and I hope before then... I mailed it express on Fri and they said about 5 business days. Doncha HATE waiting for the mail to come?!? (I'll look for your cheque next week... no rush!)

Yes, the girls are great little scrappers... they're good at scrapbooking too! I have an album of my last trip to Mexico that still needs two pages finished, if and when I find the time. Then there's this school year's pages for my kids' albums (I update them each year for Christmas), a "home improvement" album that I want to do for Robyn, a "best friends" book for a family that used to live with us, and a little Christmas album I picked up to surprise my family with this year. Oh yes, and don't forget the preparations for the market we're going to on Bowen Island, the Mt. Lehman Fall Fair, my two Christmas Open Houses that I run every year, and the Vancouver General Hospital Christmas Fair that I've been invited to be a part of this year.
Pretty busy for a stay at home mom!

You know, one of these days I might run away and do something just for ME! ...and it might even have to involve Starbucks!

Have a great evening! Kim

Michelle said...

Oh...my..goodness...

I thought I was busy!

Wow!

Yes, Starbucks sounds like a good plan!

Kimberly said...

Yeah, it sure doesn't leave a lot of family time. It's been worth it through the years, though, and the girls have really gotten their creative sides developed... almost too much some times! And they have always loved going to fairs and markets with me. Our church even did a craft (I hate that word!!) sale one Christmas and the girls sold tags and soaps they had made. We did them as an art class because I was homeschoolong that year. So they got art credit AND money out of the deal. Not a bad thing!

Tomorrow morning I'm doing a sweep in my office/studio and cleaning and sorting everything I can. I have a lot to do in the next couple of weeks but my room has become a drop zone for all kinds of goodies.

...and speaking of Starbucks, something funny happened today that I'm sure will keep one of my girls out of coffee for life! The girls ordered a venti chocolatesomething frappe to split and ended up with a full coffee chocolate drink. Poor Emily had a headache all day and it kind of ruined our outing. Julianna however loved it. Could become an expensive habit for her!!

Michelle said...

Yeah, I'm cleaning as soon as I get off the computer this morning. Here's what I've got planned for today;

1. Shaq (my first-born) will weed half of the front of the house.

2. Jamil will weed the other half of the front yard and trim the bushes between my house and my neighbor's.

3. I will weed the side of the house, trim the bushes along the sidewalk and the other neighbor's property, cut the grass, clean the bathroom, and do the laundry.

Ummm...I gave myself the short end of the stick, eh? :o)

I hope to be done by 4:00 so that I can just relax.

Monday I will focus on the rest of the inside of my house. There won't be much left to do after Monday, though! Yay!!!!

I plan on starting the women's ministry this Wednesday at 6:30, so I wanted to get everything nice and orderly before they get here. Only one woman (Norma) from my church has ever been inside my home. I want it to look nice!

Enjoy your day! You're going to feel wonderful once everything is organized!!!! :o) I can't wait until everything here is the way I want it.

Kimberly said...

Short end of the stick...um, yeah! I hope somehow you're getting paid too!

Congrats on the decision to start the Women's Ministry! It sounds like you're really excited and because you know that it's what your supposed to be doing, it will all come together perfectly!!

All the best...