Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Is your "praise and worship" godly?

This question sparked an intense discussion, and I enjoyed listening to some opposing thoughts.

Apparently, some people believe that you're not really in "worship" unless you're playing/singing a slow song. If the music is fast-faced, then we're obviously allowing too much of the "world" into our religious time. And you definitely need correction if you allow yourself to listen to Christian rock because, as we all know, there is no such thing.

Huh?

According to that, then I should only play slow, soft melodies that tickle the ears during church on Sunday morning. Although I believe that this kind of music has its place, I also feel that quicker, more upbeat songs are totally appropriate at times too.

And when I find a set of drums and someone to play them, I want that to become a part of the Worship Team at church.

Am I a "sinful" Mom because I allow (and yes, encourage) my kids to listen to Family Force Five, which happens to be a heavy metal Christian rock band? I bought the CD simply because of "Love Addict," but "Earthquake" and "Drama Queen" are wonderful too. These guys definitely have a sense of humor, and they are gifted at merging that humor with a message about the Lord. Not all of their songs contain a sermon, but most do. As a mother, I am thrilled that I don't have to worry about profanity or sexual overtones in their music. Instead, my kids are singing:

"I'm blessed, I must confess
My heart is pounding in my chest
Cause this love's the best..."

They could be singing some crazy mess that I hear kids listening to nowadays, and I'm glad they prefer godly music.

I prefer godly music...even if it's not always for a traditional church service.

I think it's awfully presumptuous to assume that, simply because I enjoy Christian rock, that my "worship" isn't as holy as others. Isn't worship a private matter between an individual and God? I know for a fact (because I do it all the time) that worship doesn't have to occur only in a church. Sometimes my private worship experiences are much more intense at my own piano than at church and vice versa.

What do you think?

2 comments:

Kimberly said...

Hi Michelle,
Wow! Are you ever busy and yet you still find time to journal/post. You've sure got a lot going on but it sounds like you thrive on it.

I'm glad you're looking into the women's ministry venue... that's something my church has struggled with for a long time. You really sound like you'd do a great job. We now have a woman who has taken on a "Creating Connections" bible study group and I think it's going well. I only went once because at the time I was starting a new job. I've since quit the job and simply haven't made it back to the group. But right now our church is looking into merging with another church... we'll have a vote on Sunday. This would be a good thing for everyone because the two congregations really compliment each other.

I finally went to the doctor yesterday because of this dizziness that just won't quit. Turns out I have a virus in my inner ear. The meds he gave me are already making my stomach upset (lovely!) but I hope they'll be worth it and I'll soon be able to see straight. Let me tell you, it has been a looong week! Lots of gravol and sleep. Yuck! I sure haven't got much done around here!

I'll try to post pics later today of the signs I've been painting. I did one for Emily's teacher and some more that were orders.

Hope you have a great day today! It's our last day of school... bring on the sunshine!

Bye! Kim

Michelle said...

Thank you so much for your words of encouragement regarding the women's ministry. I truly appreciate you.

I wish I had a bit more creativity in me, but you should see the horrible job I did when I painted my kids' bedrooms. Goodness! I offered to redo the paint jobs, but my kids said, "No thanks, Mom! This is unique!"

Um, yeah. I just think they were very afraid of what I might do next! :o)

I hope that you feel better soon. We can't have you dizzy while God is blessing you with orders to make signs!

Let's pray: God, please bless Kim with your healing touch! Allow her system not only to get used to the medicine! Better yet, help her not to need it anymore! Father, I pray for her to have a wonderful week too! In Jesus' name, amen!