Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Friday, March 27, 2009

priorities

This morning's prayer was incredibly encouraging for me. I was able to listen as a pastor shared his reason for being absent from a prayer group the previous evening: he made his family a priority, and he chose to enjoy some family time since his daughter was going out of town soon.

Wow.

I would have given ANYTHING to have my Dad put me first once in a while. I know that he loved me, and I'm sure that he's in heaven right now because he gave his life to Christ when I was a teenager.

Still, it would have been nice if he had shown me (by spending time with me) that he cared.

Brion is a blessed little girl to have a father who doesn't allow ministry to overshadow his responsibilities to his family.

After all, we should be able to minister to our own families before anyone else, right?

I give my boys a great deal of freedom as long as they don't cross the boundaries I've set. However, we still do things together as a family, and I'm pleased to say that my son gave me a kiss in front of his friends yesterday. WOO HOO!!!!! I was beginning to think they were choosing friends over me because they didn't want to be "Mama's boys," but I think they're simply stretching their wings a bit. In a few short years, (less than five....Lord, help me!) they will be out on their own.

What will I do then? When I'm not doing ministry-related activities or working, then I'm cooking, cleaning, fussing at them to get their homework done, etc. When they leave, that "empty nest" feeling will smack me upside the head.

Oh boy....

Instead of worrying, I'll just try harder to enjoy this time. They grow so quickly, don't they?

Happy thoughts....happy thoughts....

Ummm....

Oh yeah! School was canceled today since our basketball team made the semi-playoffs. They will hit the court at 5:15 p.m. in Columbus, Ohio, and a huge chunk of our staff and students are traveling to support them. I, on the other hand, am typing this blog before getting our church bulletin done. I usually type the bulletin on Saturdays, but we have a funeral tomorrow morning. Sunday is full because we'll have our regular morning service in addition to an evening one in Alliance, Ohio.

Let's pray:

Father, thank you for such a moving, enjoyable, anointed prayer time this morning with my friends. We only gather for an hour, but it goes so quickly! I kept wanting to pray about more stuff, but I didn't want to interrupt other folks. Isn't that wonderful, Lord? We're all looking forward to time with you in prayer! :o)

Please be with the Coach, who is a dear friend of mine. He's such a sweet person, God! After the pep rally, I was rushing across the school to my classroom when someone tapped my shoulder: it was Steve! He's so excited, God, and I pray that you keep them safe as they travel this weekend. Even if we don't win, we know that you have placed Steve in the lives of these players because he is a strong role model, someone who doesn't just give lip juice but actually lives the life of a godly, friendly, kind gentleman. Be with him as he coaches the team and mentors them, perhaps even as father-figure, and allow them to be proud of coming this far, even if they don't win the game. If they are trimuphant, Lord, please don't let them come back cocky and arrogant. Instead, help them to stay humble and lovable.

I also want to thank you, Lord, for relieving the pressure I've been feeling about some personal issues. You are so wonderful! I pray for the administration, staff, and students in our school district, and I also thank you for the testimonies of some folks who were bursting to share stories of answered prayer! That's so exciting, Lord!

I love you, Jesus, and I hope you stick close to my side over the next few days. Holy Spirit, please comfort my friend who lost his mother this week. Help him and his sister to feel your peace, in Jesus' name. Amen.

No comments: