Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Friday, December 26, 2008

anticipating a new year

I'm grateful for an interesting 2008, a year filled with opportunities for spiritual and emotional growth and healing. Amazingly, it has been fulfilling despite some obstacles along the way:

1. I experienced a stressful divorce, although there was no "fighting." I waited almost a year for him to come home, and in that time my children and I didn't know if he was dead or alive. I have learned that you can't have a marriage if only one person works at making the relationship work.

2. I felt acutely unwanted and unattractive when my husband left me, yet I've had more than a few folks comment on my youthful/beautiful appearance (even in the hospital on the day of my surgery when I looked a hot mess since I wasn't allowed to wear makeup). I have learned that, in the eyes of some of my closest friends, I am already beautiful and, sadly, not the only woman who has experienced this kind of pain.

3. Despite feeling alone at certain moments, I still feel blessed by some wonderful friendships. I have learned to say, "I'm scared!" or "I need help!" or "I need a hug!" I no longer try to be all things to all people; that's impossible and makes me feel neurotic. :o)

4. When many students are failing at once, I take that personally, like it's "my" failure. I have learned that a "good" teacher isn't necessarily the one who gives everyone an A. The students who want to receive what I'm trying to give them are doing well, and that's all I can ask.

As we begin a new year together, I will keep my eyes open for even more opportunities to grow and apply spiritual principles to my life. Isn't it exciting to watch how God brings balance even in the midst of chaos? He's so thoughtful and compassionate, especially when we feel disappointed.

May we accept not only God's blessings but also every chance to move outside of our comfort zones in the new year. I'm looking forward to seeing what God has in store for me. What about you? May the Lord bless you, my friend. I love you, you know; you're not alone...ever.

Happy new year!


No comments: